Michigan-MSU rivalry's best games
No. 2: Wolverines still smarting over final seconds of loss to Spartans in 2001
Updated: October 13, 2011, 12:07 PM ETBy Michael Rothstein | WolverineNation
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The Michigan-Michigan State rivalry is one of the oldest in college football. The teams first faced off in 1898 and have since played every season, with the exception of the 1943 and 1944 seasons because of World War II. With the two schools located just 60 miles apart, Wolverines and Spartans often find themselves facing off against former high school teammates and foes. But once a player reaches Ann Arbor or East Lansing, there is nothing friendly between the schools. In the Michigan football weight room, a quote from Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio is painted on the wall.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Sources: ACC to count BYU among Power 5
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Michigan State Spartans Football Practice Legend Black T-shirt