Sleepers for conference crowns
Starting with LSU, some quiet contenders have been overlooked
Much of the attention of the college football world this time of year is paid to the impact that recent recruiting battles will have on the long-term conference championship prospects of many programs.
But while the spotlight is on those teams, are there any programs slightly below the radar that have set themselves up to make a jump this season?
Here are five sleeper conference championship candidates for the 2013 season:
It might seem odd to list LSU as a sleeper SEC championship contender. The Tigers finished only one game out of first in their division last year (the best division in college football, mind you), and just two seasons ago they went undefeated in conference play en route to a berth in the BCS National Championship.
To read more from KC Joyner on potential conference title sleepers, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
- Nike Men's Michigan State Spartans Football Practice Legend Black T-shirt