Prospect dreams of doubling up
Southwest Dekalb's Shaq Goodwin says Georgia first to offer in football and basketball
Updated: October 1, 2011, 10:31 PM ETBy Kipp Adams | DawgNation
- Shaq Goodwin (Decatur, Ga./Southwest Dekalb) is a five-star basketball prospect. The 6-foot-8, 240-pound power forward is the No. 1 player in Georgia and 19th in the nation. He averaged 18 points and 10.1 rebounds last year, and has been offered by programs from coast to coast. Coaches such as Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams and Ben Howland have stood courtside to watch him play, and Billy Donovan was the latest one on the phone trying to woo Goodwin. But come time to fax in his letter of intent, there is a good chance Goodwin will not be signing for any of those top basketball programs. That is because while there is little doubt as to his potential on the court, Goodwin's first love is on the gridiron. He started playing when he was 4, giving football a seven-year head-start on basketball. Then puberty hit and muddied the waters a little.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com