Freshman Impact: Florida
Can two key newcomers help the Gators break through to the Final Four?
For the "Freshman Impact" series, Insider's college basketball and recruiting experts will be teaming up to examine how 15 of the nation's best recruiting classes will fit in with their teams in the 2013-14 season.
John: Reggie, correct me if I'm wrong, but Florida's in a rut. By my count, the Gators have been to three consecutive Elite Eights now, with nary a Final Four to show for it in that stretch. And now Billy Donovan has to replace Kenny Boynton, Mike Rosario, and Erik Murphy. That's a lot of talent going out the door. Can the newcomers make up that difference?
Reggie: That was a lot of talent and experience going out the door, John. But say this for the new guys: Florida's overall athleticism is about to go up a notch.
John: Great point, Reggie. I know the knock on the Gators last season was that they really weren't all that athletic, and that they didn't necessarily have a great featured scorer. Then again this offense did score 1.13 points per possession in SEC play (tops in the league), so clearly they were doing something right. What about next season? Let's start with Kasey Hill. What will we see from the highly touted point guard in his first season?
To read the full article on how Florida's incoming freshman will fit in with the team, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Vandy hires Utah St.'s Maile as D-line coach
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game