Ranking nation's top 68 teams
Indiana No. 1? Louisville over Duke? Zags over Illini? Let the debating begin
Duke is rolling and rolled Temple. Indiana started ahead of Duke and keeps winning against a lesser slate. Kentucky has suffered an unimaginable home loss, the first in John Calipari's tenure ruling over Big Blue Nation. Texas can guard but can't score. Illinois is unbeaten and surging in the polls. How does one make sense of it all? How should we properly value the true merit of each team in the gigantic and unwieldy mess known as Division I?
The Bilas Index, that's how. Notwithstanding the super-cranial sophistication of The Bilastrator, we (the Royal we) do not fully comprehend the horrible inconsistency of weekly polls. Such baffling inconsistency is one of the countless reasons to fully embrace the genius, and we don't use that word lightly but rather with great force and conviction, of The Bilas Index. The Bilas Index is a barometer that incorporates a wide variety of data from KenPom.com, Sagarin, Basketball Prospectus and ESPN's incredible Basketball Power Index ("BPI"), as well as the most powerful tool of basketball analytics ever imagined by man, the powerful brain and hoop experience of The Bilastrator himself.
With the Deep Blue-like ability to process so much data into the perfect ranking of the nation's 68 best teams based on performance and potential, in a word, The Bilas Index is "trillicious." As always, you're welcome.
Largest move up: Wichita State Shockers (No. 50 to No. 29).
Largest fall down: Tennessee Volunteers (No. 42 to No. 58).
1. Indiana Hoosiers (Last Week: 1)
Indiana has not played the toughest slate, with the weakest overall schedule of any team in the top 25 of The Bilas Index. However, it has beaten Georgia, Georgetown and North Carolina. With the exception of Butler this weekend, the Hoosiers should not be pushed until they play Minnesota on Jan. 12. Indiana remains the top-rated offensive team in the country, according to KenPom.com. What makes Indiana No. 1 in The Bilas Index is the steady improvement of the IU defense, which is top 10 in the nation. Victor Oladipo!
2. Louisville Cardinals (Last Week: 2)
To see the rest of Jay Bilas' rankings and get access to all of ESPN Insider's college basketball coverage, sign up today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Auburn's Marshall cited for having marijuana
- ADs for Miss. State, KSU set series on Twitter
- FSU's Wilson suspended after arrest for theft
- FSU's Winston to face media at ACC Kickoff
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game