Talent and depth in secondary
The Gators have plenty of talent and competition in the defensive backfield
Updated: December 16, 2011, 3:55 PM ETBy Michael DiRocco | GatorNation
- GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida safety Matt Elam was every bit the player he was supposed to be in 2001. After playing more than any other freshman on the roster in 2010, UF's coaching staff was hoping Elam would step into Ahmad Black's role as the secondary's leader and difference-maker. The sophomore didn't disappoint, finishing second on the team in tackles (72) and adding one sack, two interceptions and a team-high seven pass-breakups.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com