Games that could alter title race
K-State and Oregon fans need to pay attention to how these 12 play out
With four undefeated teams on top and Oregon moving into the No. 3 spot in this week's BCS standings, the race for the BCS National Championship Game is hitting the home stretch.
The No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide showed vulnerability Saturday at LSU, so nobody should be putting the Tide in the national title game just yet. But if Bama stays undefeated, the battle for the No. 2 spot could be compelling over the next four weeks.
Notre Dame is a long shot because of its position in the polls and remaining schedule. Looking at the point totals in the Harris and coaches' polls, simple math says the Irish are sitting at No. 4 on almost every ballot (worse than fourth by a few coaches), and their potential to move up is limited by having the weakest remaining schedule of the four contenders. But the Irish can still have a big impact on the race for No. 2 by affecting the computer rankings of Kansas State and Oregon.
Game results of past opponents and records of future opponents can have an influence on computers and voters. With that in mind, here are 12 games not involving the Wildcats and Ducks that could play a part in deciding which team ultimately gains the edge in the BCS standings:
To read more of which games Brad Edwards says will have an impact on the BCS race, become an Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Hurricanes TE Dye, NCAA to discuss affidavit
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation