Urban Meyer perfect for Ohio State
Meyer's Midwest background plus ties to Southeast, Florida could be recruiting bonanza
Originally Published: November 29, 2011By Tom Luginbill | ESPN RecruitingNation
- Urban Meyer to Ohio State is a perfect fit for many reasons. The core of Meyer's roots are founded in Ohio and the Midwest. He's coached there, recruited there and has a deep knowledge of the area's talent base. But Meyer also has ties to the West Coast from his time at Utah, and Florida and the Southeast from his time with the Gators. That, coupled with the stature of Ohio State, allows Meyer and the Buckeyes to recruit nationally as much as they want to. Ohio State is one of a handful of programs that can recruit nationally and not have to sell itself. The program is a national brand and recruits all know about its proud history. Now add in Meyer and it's a potent combination. He can flash national championship rings. He had a player (Tim Tebow) win the Heisman Trophy. He's put players in the NFL, including the No. 1 overall pick in Alex Smith at Utah.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com