Top 5 recruiting overachievers
Kansas State leads teams whose record has exceeded their recruiting talent
Dominant college football performances have traditionally gone hand-in-hand with strong recruiting hauls, especially when we take a multiyear view of recruiting rankings. We calculate program recruiting rankings as part of our Football Outsiders team projections. These five-year weighted measures of team recruiting profiles unsurprisingly match up well with five-year measures of team performance. Thirteen teams currently ranked in the top 20 in our current Program FEI ratings (possession efficiency over the past five seasons) also ranked among the top 20 in program recruiting in the same span.
Some programs aren't fully loaded with elite talent but have still managed to consistently outperform recruiting ratings in recent years. We tallied game results from 2011 to 2013 according to our program recruiting rankings -- which teams won more games against more talented opposition, and which teams fell most frequently despite having a talent edge -- and ignored games in which the talent differential was small to isolate on the biggest overachievers and underachievers.
Here are the five teams that came out on top.
Program recruiting rank: 71st / Program FEI rank: 14th
16 wins since 2011 as less talented team
To see the rest of the teams that have overachieved in recruiting, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- L'ville to make Grantham among richest DCs
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Football on Insider
Todd McShay breaks down the top NFL prospects at the Senior Bowl. Read »
- Nike Men's Vanderbilt Commodores #14 Black Replica Football Jersey