NHSI finals recap
Updated: April 1, 2012, 3:28 PM ETBy Mike LaPlante | RecruitingNation
- The script could not have gone more perfectly for the championship game of the ESPNHS National High School Invitational as Findlay Prep (Nev.) stormed back from an 18-point second-half deficit to send the game into overtime, where the Pilots, who were 2009 and 2010 NHSI champions, outlasted a foul-depleted Montverde Academy (Fla.) to win, 86-83.
Standout playersBrandon Ashley (Oakland, Calif./Findlay Prep)
2012, PF, 6-foot-8, 215 pounds
After participating in the McDonald's All-American Game on Wednesday night, the long, athletic power forward was mostly a nonfactor during the first two games of the NHSI, but in the second half of the finals he came alive and played with energy and a sense of urgency. He got out in transition, where he finished at the rim and went to work down low overpowering his defender for high-percentage baskets. If he can consistently play with that type of energy and effort, he will be an impact player as a freshman for Arizona. Kasey Hill (Eustis, Florida/Montverde Academy)
2013, PG, 6-1, 170 pounds
Hill put his team into position to win and was outstanding the entire tournament. He played consistently well to generate the conversation of who is the top point guard in the 2013 class. His ability to change speeds and directions in the open floor is at an elite level, while his court vision and passing skills make him a perfect point guard for an up-tempo system. He'll be like a kid in a candy store when he gets to Gainesville and is surrounded by shooters.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com