Houston tops the best non-BCS teams
Originally Published: November 17, 2011By Adam Finkelstein | ESPN Recruiting Nation
- Here's a breakdown of the top recruiting classes from teams in non-BCS conferences after the early signing period. Danuel House (Sugarland, Texas/Hightower) is a high-flying athlete with a college-ready body who is going to put numbers from day one in Houston. Danrad "Chicken" Knowles (Houston/HCYA) is just beginning to tap into his tremendous potential as a skilled 6-foot-9 power forward. Valentine Izundu (Katy, Texas/Lamar Consolidated) is almost flying under the radar in this group, but he's another guy with tremendous upside, who has the size and length to make an immediate impact on the defensive end of the floor. Put the three of them together, and there might not be another program in the country that achieved more relative to its conference affiliation. Shaq Goodwin (Decatur, Ga./Southwest Dekalb), only to face disappointment a few days later when Goodwin announced that he would remain verbally committed, but not sign during the early signing period. On Wednesday, he changed his mind yet again and sent Pastner his letter of intent. Goodwin is a powerful interior presence with deceptive versatility who joins another ESPNU 100 prospect, Damien Wilson (Austell, Ga./Oak Hill Academy), who is an athletic scoring forward expected to make an immediate impact next season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- McDermott among Wooden Award finalists
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2012 EARLY SIGNING PERIOD
Many decisions were made during the early signing period but Arizona looks to be the big winner.
- Surprises from early signing period
- Best available in the ESPNU 100
- Muhammad, No. 1 overall, waiting to sign
- Arizona's Miller rebuilding a giant
- Class rankings: Arizona on top
- First-year coaches winning on the trail
- Paul Biancardi chat wrap
- Dave Telep chat wrapConference grades
- ACC: NC State tops UNC
- Big 12: Texas programs lead the way
- Big East: Providence surprises everyone
- Big Ten: Michigan schools on top
- Pac-12: Arizona has the No. 1 class
- SEC: Kentucky on top yet again
- Best of rest: Houston makes a spashCommitments
- Gary Harris to Michigan St. | Izzo's type
- Alex Poythress to Kentucky | Good fit
- Robert Carter to Ga. Tech | Big get
- Robert Upshaw to K-State | Big GetESPNHS
- Eliminating emotions after visits
- Five reasons to sign early
- Grant Jerrett becoming the total package
- Kyle Anderson was born to play basketball
- Matt Costello taking it one step at a time
- Braxton Ogbueze remaining focused
- Arizona State looking to local trio
- How Crean is rebuilding IndianaRoundtable
- Program you're most impressed with?
- Slow starters expected to finish strong?
- Player outside ESPNU 100 to watch?
- Needed a good class and got one?
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com