LSU among BCS title favorites
The Tigers are working in a new QB, but the defense should be loaded
ESPN Insider's "20 teams that can win it all" series is previewing each of the top 20 teams in Brian Fremeau's five-year program metric, with the help of ESPN's Stats & Information group (for a full explanation and links to all of the previews as they are published, click here). This is the entry for LSU.
BATON ROUGE, La. -- When one thinks of the factors that make the LSU Tigers a national contender -- or limits the their chances -- visceral images, like a grass-chewing Les Miles playing smashmouth Big Ten offense or the Honey Badger taking what he wants, come to mind.
It adds up to a perception of a team with a conservative offense that is augmented by an opportunistic, big-play defense.
Are these perceptions born from emotional reactions to a Tyrann Mathieu big play or a one-game offensive meltdown against Alabama? Or is it what LSU is at the end of the day?
Eyes can be deceiving, but stats don't lie. So let's go to the stat sheet to see why LSU might -- or might not -- be ready to make another run at a crystal trophy this fall.
Why the Tigers can win it all
To read the full article on LSU's title chances in 2012, including a projected record for the Tigers, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Three Navy players charged in sexual assault
- Vehicle stolen from home of Sooners' Stoops
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation