The Alabama-LSU 'shootout'
Despite the same defenses, the BCS title game won't be like the first Bama-LSU affair
To preview the BCS National Championship Game, KC Joyner examines potential myths for one of the most anticipated rematches in college football history -- the Alabama Crimson Tide versus the LSU Tigers.
Myth No. 1: This contest will be a low-scoring affair.
This mindset certainly is understandable given that these teams fought to a 9-6 overtime score in their first matchup this season, but it is worth noting that, as strong as these defenses have been, these teams' offenses have been just about as good.
Alabama has scored 34 or more points in all but three of its games and ranks 16th in the Football Bowl Subdivision in points per game. LSU has scored 35 or more points in all but two of its games and ranks 12th in the FBS in points per game.
Another issue in using the earlier score as a barometer for the point total in this upcoming contest is that it doesn't necessarily accurately reflect some of the elements of that first battle.
To read why the BCS title game won't be a repeat of the first LSU-Alabama game, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Three Navy players charged in sexual assault
- Vehicle stolen from home of Sooners' Stoops
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation