Aggies will struggle in SEC
Facing a full SEC schedule will present major difficulties for Texas A&M
The Texas A&M Aggies could use some good news. A top-10 ranking and dreams of contending for a national championship went up in smoke in the last two weekends. Texas A&M blew three-score second-half leads in consecutive weeks against the Oklahoma State Cowboys and Arkansas Razorbacks to fall to 2-2 and the bottom of the Associated Press and USA Today polls.
Saturday's loss to the Razorbacks was an especially bitter pill to swallow. Not only are the Razorbacks longtime rivals of the Aggies -- dating back to the days of the old Southwest Conference -- but Arkansas is a future SEC rival as well. And on the heels of Texas A&M's official announcement last week that it will join the Southeastern Conference in 2012, the Aggies were hoping to make a statement that they were ready to be an immediate impact contender in the top conference in the country.
Now, one loss in 2011 doesn't seal the fate for Texas A&M in the SEC for years to come. But according to our Football Outsiders research based on several years of play-by-play and drive efficiency data, Texas A&M is expected to struggle once it joins the SEC.
To read more about the Aggies move to the SEC, including their projected win totals, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Hurricanes TE Dye, NCAA to discuss affidavit
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation