Oklahoma's remarkable road woes
Among elite teams, the Sooners (and their QB) have struggled most away from home
When football coaches are asked about the difficulty of playing in a certain stadium, they will often say that it's the players in the dark-colored jerseys that make it so difficult, not the stadium itself.
It's a truth about sports: Most games are won by the team with the better players.
Therefore, when a college football team is consistently dominant on its home field, you can expect that it also wins a high percentage of games away from home. But every now and then, there's an exception. One such example is the Oklahoma Sooners.
Since losing their 2005 season opener to the TCU Horned Frogs in Norman, the Sooners have won 37 consecutive games at Memorial Stadium -- the longest active home winning streak in college football. Throughout this span, however, Oklahoma has been anything but automatic when playing away from Norman. Ahead of Saturday's road test against the fifth-ranked Florida State Seminoles, that's a serious concern for Sooner Nation.
To read more about Oklahoma's road issues, and the extent to which QB Landry Jones has struggled away from home, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Harwell, nation's No. 2 WR in '11, off to Kansas
- Oregon releases additional docs in NCAA probe
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation