Oregon's concern vs. LSU
History, along with Ducks' recent track record, shows us why Tigers have an edge
Kenjon Barner took the first play of the 2010 season for the Oregon Ducks -- a handoff from Darron Thomas -- and picked up 9 yards. He took the second play for a yard, the third for 10 and the fourth for 12 more.
These were the opening jabs that Oregon threw at New Mexico, issued in the Ducks' signature rapid pace, and by the end of the first 15 minutes, the Ducks led by 28 points. At the end of four, 28 had become 72, all without Heisman candidate LaMichael James in the backfield (serving a one-game suspension).
This is Oregon football. Points in bunches, offensive outbursts by the second.
Despite the return of Barner, Thomas and James on another loaded offense, however, that won't be the case when No. 3 Oregon travels to Arlington, Texas, to kick off the 2011 season against the No. 4 LSU Tigers on Saturday evening. Not only do season openers against top-ranked teams tend to feature diluted offensive performances, but Oregon's recent track record in games like this one also serves as cause for concern.
To read the full argument here, including why Oregon's recent history in big games is a major concern heading into Saturday, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- SEC hires Vincent as associate commissioner
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation