No trouble with AJ
An appreciation for the most underappreciated quarterback in college football
- Ross Dettman for ESPNAJ McCarron and Alabama face a tough road to get through the SEC and repeat as BCS champs.
SO WHAT EXACTLY does AJ stand for?
"It doesn't stand for anything," Bama quarterback AJ McCarron says, adding: "My mom just didn't like periods between the letters." The ambiguity fits the narrative. Johnny Football is the rock star, Teddy Bridgewater is the top pro prospect and Braxton Miller has better Heisman odds. But the Tide's quarterback is something else. He begins his third season as a starter on the verge of leading Alabama to its third straight BCS title, which would be an unprecedented feat in the sport. But outside Dixie, AJ might as well be the guy with the beauty-queen girlfriend.
To see why AJ McCarron is the most underappreciated QB in college football, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider