Can ASU win the Pac-12 South?
Why the Sun Devils have a good chance of winning their division in 2013
One of the key elements in turning a program around is being in the right place at the right time. Some coaches can be like Bear Bryant and take teams from worst to first under far-less-than-ideal conditions (as Bryant did with the Kentucky Wildcats and Texas A&M Aggies), but in most cases this type of occurrence happens when talent meets opportunity.
Head coach Todd Graham took significant steps in this direction last season when he guided the Sun Devils to their first winning campaign since 2007 and their first bowl win since 2005.
As notable as those achievements are, things could be even better this season, as Arizona State should be considered the favorite to win the Pac-12 South division and therefore contend for its first Rose Bowl appearance since the 1996 season.
The first reason to believe in the Sun Devils this season is a strong offense that revolves around the skills of quarterback Taylor Kelly.
To read more from KC Joyner on Arizona State's chances to win the Pac-12 South, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- SEC hires Vincent as associate commissioner
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation