Underrated bowl teams
A new metric reveals why Oklahoma State, others should be ranked higher
Usually, arguments about who is underrated or overrated are among the most hackneyed in sports; when a fan claims a player is "underrated," he's usually just trying to grab credit for recognizing his favorite athlete before the rest of us. But for college football teams, this is the season when it truly pays to be overestimated. If you're a Division I football squad, you'll have no playoffs, nor any knockout tournaments -- your postseason validation and reputation depend on public opinion. Dazzle the voters, and you'll celebrate New Year's by raking in cash from a major bowl game. Leave your party dress at home, and you might end up playing the Sun Belt runner-up before the winter solstice.
A whole range of statistical factors can make teams underrated, thereby creating intriguing bowl contestants whom many fans will unjustly ignore. And at the moment, just about all of them are suppressing a proper appreciation of the Oklahoma State Cowboys, who are undoubtedly the nation's most underrated team.
Before we make that case in detail, and look at other underrated bowl teams, let's establish a couple of benchmarks. For a team to be underrated, its ranking in mainstream opinion must be lower than an objective evaluation of its true strength. To measure the former, we can simply look at a team's position in the BCS standings, which determine bowl matchups. And for the latter, we will use its national ranking according to the Simple Rating System (SRS). SRS rates a group of teams by their margin of victory, adjusted upward or downward by the strength of their opponents. That's it -- nothing about school traditions or polls or conferences or momentum or Heisman Trophy candidacies enters into SRS calculations. SRS is essentially a form of network analysis that answers the question: How strong would every college football team have to be for all of their scores, week by week, to come out the way they did in 2012?
To read more from Peter Keating on underrated bowl teams, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation