Why Duke will upset Cincinnati
Making bold predictions for the non-BCS bowl games
After a regular season that saw many of my bold predictions come true (thank you, Florida Gators), and a few others go down in flames (thanks for nothing, ACC), I'm making four bold predictions on the non-BCS bowls.
1. The Duke Blue Devils will shock the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Belk Bowl
Earlier this year, I wrote in an article that Duke would drop off in the second half of the season after getting off to a hot start, and that is precisely what happened. After clinching their first bowl since 1994 with a win over arch-rival North Carolina, the Blue Devils would drop four straight games to close the season at 6-6. However, bowl season provides new life for them and they will be playing in front of a lot of home state fans (Duke's basketball team is off for the week) in Charlotte against favored Big East co-champ Cincinnati (9-3 this season).
To read more from Phil Steele on his bold predictions for non-BCS bowl games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stoops bashes Saban's 'consolation' remark
- Ducks decided favorites in Pac-12 media poll
- Source: Indiana, Cincy set '21, '22 meetings
- Source: NC State-WVU series set for 2018-19
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
- Nike Men's Duke Blue Devils Grey Football Practice Legend T-Shirt