Why Duke will upset Cincinnati
Making bold predictions for the non-BCS bowl games
After a regular season that saw many of my bold predictions come true (thank you, Florida Gators), and a few others go down in flames (thanks for nothing, ACC), I'm making four bold predictions on the non-BCS bowls.
1. The Duke Blue Devils will shock the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Belk Bowl
Earlier this year, I wrote in an article that Duke would drop off in the second half of the season after getting off to a hot start, and that is precisely what happened. After clinching their first bowl since 1994 with a win over arch-rival North Carolina, the Blue Devils would drop four straight games to close the season at 6-6. However, bowl season provides new life for them and they will be playing in front of a lot of home state fans (Duke's basketball team is off for the week) in Charlotte against favored Big East co-champ Cincinnati (9-3 this season).
To read more from Phil Steele on his bold predictions for non-BCS bowl games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Vandy hires Utah St.'s Maile as D-line coach
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
- Rawlings Cincinnati Bearcats Tailgater Junior-Sized Football