Expect upsets in league title games
Why two or three favorites could fall in conference championships
My bold predictions did not fare well last week, as the SEC proved once again that it is by far the best conference in the country (more on that later), and Notre Dame's defense did hold Max Wittek and USC in check. I will also retire my toss-up game of the week for the year at 8-5, after a loss last week.
I'm hoping to rebound in a big way this week. Here are my bold predictions for the final week of the regular season.
1. The conference title games will feature at least two or three upsets
Two weeks ago I predicted that at least one of the unbeatens at the time (Oregon, Kansas State, Notre Dame and Ohio State) would lose, and while I decided to ultimately go with Ohio State, it was the Wildcats and Ducks that would succumb to undefeated pressure. This week there are six conference championship games and I again think there is a great possibility that at least two or three of the games will feature an upset.
The wild weekend could all start with a pair of games on Friday night, as the No. 8 Stanford Cardinal host the 16th-ranked UCLA Bruins in the Pac-12 championship, while the No. 17 Kent State Golden Flashes play the No. 21 Northern Illinois Huskies in Detroit for the MAC championship.
To read more from Phil Steele on possible upsets in this week's conference championship games, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
- Sources: C-USA to put team in Military Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation