At least one undefeated will lose
Why Ohio State is vulnerable versus Wisconsin, plus more bold predictions
My bold predictions had a hard time this past week, in part because Oregon State was unable to hold on to a 23-14 second-half lead at Stanford, and I ended up going 1-3.
Here are this week's bold predictions.
1. At least one of the four remaining unbeaten teams will lose this Saturday
Three weeks ago, we had 11 unbeaten teams, and we had six just last week. Entering the final couple of weeks, there are four left, with only three having a shot at playing in the national championship game. All four play this weekend, with Kansas State taking on Baylor, Notre Dame playing Wake Forest, a beat-up Oregon squad hosting a physical Stanford team and often-forgotten undefeated Ohio State travelling to Camp Randall Stadium to take on Wisconsin, which clinched the Leaders Division title this past week with a resounding 62-14 win at Indiana.
Although the other three teams are less likely to slip up (especially K-State and Notre Dame, which are playing far inferior opponents), I think the Buckeyes' unbeaten dreams will fall by the wayside at the hands of the Badgers. If you remember the last time the Buckeyes ventured into Camp Randall, they arrived undefeated and ranked No. 1 back in 2010. They left that night, however, with their lone loss of the season (12-1) as they succumbed to the relentless Badgers' run offense and fell 31-18.
To read more from Phil Steele on why he is predicting that at least one undefeated team will lose this weekend, plus get the rest of his bold predictions for Week 12, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation