Week 10's upset picks, value plays
Evaluating odds and making picks for LSU-Bama, USC-Oregon, more
Every week during the season, Will Harris will check with the computers (using Insider's PickCenter) and wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games and give his picks for which team will come out on top.
Five undefeated teams fell in Week 9, leaving unblemished the four teams atop the national standings -- Alabama, Oregon, Kansas State and Notre Dame -- plus Ohio State and Louisville.
This week, three of the top undefeated teams find themselves favored by single digits against talented competition, but regular readers know I have been bullish on all four of the top unbeaten teams.
Last week, Upset Watch moved to 54-35 on the season with a 7-3 mark for the sixth time in nine weeks, including outright underdog winners Notre Dame and Georgia. This week, there are a few more 'dogs I think will bark, though not necessarily at the expense of the nation's top teams.
Alabama is favored by 9.5 points
TeamRankings win odds for LSU: 40 percent
In the offseason, we identified several issues with the 2012 LSU team, and in Week 10, the Tigers look exactly like the 9-4 team described. Quarterback play, offensive coaching, leadership, team chemistry and a lack of discipline have marred LSU's campaign. Last season's controlled chaos in the back end of the defense led to constant turnovers and big defensive plays; this year's uncontrolled chaos more often just leads to personal fouls.
LSU's players are finally acknowledging that last season's title game left scars. This week, the players would have us believe that those scars created a determined team on a mission, but LSU hasn't looked anything like that in most of its games. This is still a very good Tigers team, but make no mistake: This is a relative down year for LSU and a radically different outfit than the relentlessly cocky, explosive and dominating Tigers squad of a year ago. Attrition hasn't helped. Of the 14 LSU players who started the title game with eligibility remaining, only six will start Saturday night.
To read Will Harris' picks for Week 10, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Three Navy players charged in sexual assault
- Vehicle stolen from home of Sooners' Stoops
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation