LSU-Bama will go down to wire
How the Tigers will stay close with the Tide, and more bold predictions
I was 2-2 in my bold predictions last week, and while Florida let me down for the first time this season, Ohio State beat Penn State to move my toss-up game record to 7-2.
Here are this week's bold predictions.
1. LSU will give Alabama all that it can handle
All year long we have heard from a majority of analysts that the defending national champion Alabama Crimson Tide are the clear-cut No. 1 team in the country and that no one else is close. While the Tide clearly deserve their ranking to date, this week they face their first legitimate test of the season, particularly at the line of scrimmage, as they travel to play the LSU Tigers in a rematch of last season's national title game.
While no one outside of Baton Rouge is giving the Tigers a chance (Las Vegas has listed Alabama as a 9.5-point favorite), I think the Tigers will keep it very close and this one will come down to the wire much like last year's game in Tuscaloosa, in which then-No. 1 LSU upset No. 2 Alabama 9-6 in overtime.
To read more from Phil Steele on LSU-Alabama, plus the rest of his bold predictions for Week 10, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
- Sources: C-USA to put team in Military Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation