Kansas State the real No. 1?
Why the Wildcats deserve a title berth more than any team in the nation
As of this week, four teams have separated themselves from the pack in the race to the BCS championship, and each one has a solid chance to run the table the rest of the way. Debates over strength of schedule, style points and signature wins will define the final month of the season. The chase for a coveted championship berth may be as hotly contested as ever.
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish overpowered Oklahoma on the road Saturday in their biggest statement game to date. The Alabama Crimson Tide and Oregon Ducks have marquee road games this Saturday in which they, too, can make a major statement on the biggest stage.
Meanwhile, the Kansas State Wildcats are perhaps the most overlooked of the four contenders. They are currently ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings, but many experts expect that the Wildcats won't be able to keep that ranking even if they win out, because Kansas State's biggest games are already in the rearview mirror.
On the other hand, Kansas State has been strong in all three phases of the game, consistently exceeding expectations and winning with unmatched efficiency. A statistical evaluation of the Kansas State résumé shouldn't keep them out of the championship conversation. In fact, Kansas State may have the best case to be ranked No. 1 of any team in the country. Here are five reasons why.
To read the full argument for why Kansas State should be ranked No. 1, and what to expect from the Wildcats in a possible BCS title matchup, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation