Oregon still in BCS title game
The Ducks are No. 4 in the BCS standings but still project to face Alabama
The Kansas State Wildcats and Notre Dame Fighting Irish both scored big wins on Saturday and remain very much in the mix to make the BCS National Championship Game.
However, I'm still sticking with my title game projection of Alabama and Oregon this week. A loss by the Crimson Tide or Ducks either this week or in future weeks would obviously open the door for the Wildcats and Irish. But if all four of those teams finish undefeated, I think we'll be seeing a Bama-Oregon final.
Check out my explanation as to why, as I go through my current BCS bowl projections and lists of the next teams in line for each bid.
Discover BCS National Championship Game
Next up for BCS No. 1 and No. 2 spots: Kansas State, Notre Dame, LSU, Georgia
Basically, as long as Oregon continues to have the majority of the second-place votes in both polls, the Ducks are the odds-on favorites to finish second at season's end. They'll need to keep some separation between them and K-State in the polls, but if they can do that, they should be good.
Of course, it will depend upon how they play going forward. They have an opportunity this week against USC to really beat up on the Trojans and impress a lot of voters. If the Ducks barely win, it might be time for Oregon fans to start worrying a little bit, because some of the factors outside of the Ducks' control (USC and Oregon State both losing this weekend, for example) could continue to work against them. But as of right now, heading into the USC game, Oregon is my pick to finish second. (And yes, I'm predicting Alabama will beat LSU this season and finish unbeaten and No. 1 in the BCS standings.)
To see BCS expert Brad Edwards' take on which teams are in line to grab BCS bids, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation