Alabama, Florida on upset alert
Evaluating upset odds and making picks for Week 8's biggest games
Every week during the season, Will Harris will check with the computers (using Insider's PickCenter) and wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games and give his picks for who will come out on top.
The first BCS standings are out, and none of the top eight teams have gimmes this week. The SEC currently accounts for six of the top 12, though we still expect LSU and Florida to be much farther down the rankings by season's end.
The Tigers surprised us with a solid win over South Carolina, but Upset Watch managed a 7-3 week to move to 40-29 on the season. In Week 8 we'll look at what should be Alabama's toughest test, along with the rest of the marquee games and a pair of live dogs that have a chance for statement wins over in-state heavyweights.
Florida is favored by 3.5 points
TeamRankings win odds for South Carolina: 37 percent
This is a battle of two teams that have covered every game since the opener. We expected Carolina to win last week, but the Gamecocks played their worst game since Week 1, Tiger Stadium roared and Les Miles reminded us why he's an elite preparer of teams. Still, our overall view of the SEC hasn't really changed since the offseason. The Tigers probably have another inspired performance or two in them, but LSU has all the problems we saw in the summer and still looks like a 9-4 team. And South Carolina still looks like the East favorite and one of the most complete teams in the country.
Florida's improvement from 2011 has been evident across the board, from the head coach on down. Offensive coordinator Brent Pease in particular has been a difference-maker. Still, the Gators have a lot of ground to make up against the East's best, and must yet prove that they can do what well-coached teams do: Get better as the season goes along and win in November.
To read Will Harris' upset picks for Week 8, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Three Navy players charged in sexual assault
- Vehicle stolen from home of Sooners' Stoops
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation