Top 10 QBs in college football
Ranking the nation's 10 best quarterbacks at the season's halfway point
We've seen a lot of shake-ups in the polls these past few weeks, and that has been reflected in my midseason quarterback rankings. While the top few passers have largely remained the same, some talented but underperforming QBs have slid, allowing some newcomers to join the mix.
As a reminder, these are the two factors I consider when putting together this list:
1. Efficiency, production and playmaking ability on the collegiate level
2. NFL aptitude and projection
As a result, what you'll find below is not merely an evaluation of the QBs with the best pro potential, or a list of the most efficient passers on the college level, but instead a ranking that takes both factors into account. Why look at it this way? Because while potential alone can only take a quarterback so far, the abilities that NFL teams covet can often set apart the best collegiate QBs from the rest.
With that, let's jump into my midseason ranking of the 10 best quarterbacks in college football. (For the previous edition, click here.)
Barkley's 10 completions Saturday at Washington were the fewest he has had in a game since his freshman year. Over his past four starts he has thrown only six touchdowns to five interceptions, and in the process has seen his "can't-miss" draft status as the No. 1 overall NFL pick erode to the point that ESPN draft expert Todd McShay has elevated Geno Smith over Barkley in his prospect rankings. Star WR Robert Woods was quoted as saying that the Trojans' passing game is "terrible" right now.
So how can it be that I still have Barkley ranked as the best quarterback in college football?
To read Brock Huard's complete midseason ranking of the top 10 QBs in college football, plus a look at the quarterbacks who are close to making the list, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
- Navy to charge football players in rape case
- Manziel 'can't wait to leave' College Station
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation