Projecting all BCS bowl teams
The early favorites for each BCS bid, plus the next teams in line
The first BCS standings are out, but we can be sure that the rankings will change quite a bit during the next few weeks as the games unfold.
Below, I've included my current projections for every BCS bowl, in addition to the next teams in line for each bid. So while Alabama and Oregon look like the top two most likely candidates to play for the national championship this season right now, there are several other contenders still in the mix -- and that includes some teams that already have losses.
Here is a look at the teams in the hunt for each BCS bowl bid.
Discover BCS National Championship Game
Next up for BCS No. 1 and No. 2 spots: Florida, Notre Dame, Kansas State, Mississippi State, LSU, USC, Oklahoma
Right now, Alabama and Oregon are my picks to make the national title game. If Florida goes undefeated, the Gators are in, and I think Notre Dame is the next-most likely team to make it with an undefeated resume, with Kansas State behind it. Notre Dame's name value carries weight in the polls, and even though K-State is in the Big 12, which the computers love, the Wildcats don't really have a "wow" factor that can excite the voters.
Something to watch is that some voters could put an undefeated Notre Dame ahead of an undefeated Oregon in the polls, just based on rewarding the Fighting Irish for their tough schedule. And they'll be better in the computers.
To see BCS expert Brad Edwards' take on which teams are in line to grab BCS bids, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation