BCS national title pretenders
Why Notre Dame, WVU and UGA soon will be exposed in the BCS race
September answered some of our questions regarding the national championship race, weeding out some false title contenders the way author George Martin kills off false kings in "Game of Thrones." Arkansas is a full-on disaster; Oklahoma has become a perennial pretender; and the prematurely highly regarded USC Trojans have been exposed to be as skin-deep as nearby Hollywood.
Only Alabama and Oregon appear to be true royalty -- assuming a recent string of injuries on both teams don't reel them back to the pack.
A few potential false kings still remain, with three teams in particular I can't trust just yet. All of them have revealed flaws they may not be able to conceal through October. Their undoing could come as soon as this weekend, as we begin our manic discussions upon the release of the BCS standings.These three are not true kings, and here's why:
Sixty-three. That's the number of points the Mountaineers gave up to Baylor last week. And won. But no team has ever given up as many points as WVU is allowing and gone on to win a national championship. The shaky defense is the reason I can't buy West Virginia as a title contender.
To read what's holding ND, WVU and UGA back in the title race, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation