Upset odds and picks for Week 5
Buckeyes-Spartans, Longhorns-Cowboys and other top games this week
Every week during the season, Will Harris will check with the computers (using TeamRankings' win odds) and wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games and give his picks for who'll come out on top.
Week 4 saw 14 underdogs win outright, though Oklahoma and UCLA were the only ranked upset victims. Upset Watch delivered Kansas State's road win, along with two other double-digit underdogs who won outright.
A 7-3 week moves us to 24-16 on the season, but Week 5 brings the toughest set of numbers yet. As always, we'll break down the biggest games and hunt for value around the entire slate.
Michigan State is favored by 2.5 points
TeamRankings win odds for Ohio State: 39 percent
The Ohio State defense struggled with UAB's dink-and-dunk, sideline-to-sideline passing game but is better equipped to stop downhill attacks like the Le'Veon Bell-led offense the Buckeyes will see in Spartan Stadium. Michigan State is looking for improvement from its youthful throw-and-catch personnel, because at present Bell is the whole show -- he's even returning punts now.
To read Will Harris' upset picks for Week 5, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation