What's wrong with Wisconsin?
Numbers and tape reveal the weaknesses in the Badgers' offensive attack
There have been several surprises over the first four weeks of this college football season, but few things have been more unexpected than the mediocre performance of the Wisconsin Badgers' offense.
Perhaps we shouldn't be so surprised. The warning signs were there in the offseason. Gone from last year's team:
• All-Big Ten QB Russell Wilson
• Three All-Big Ten offensive linemen
• Four of the five offensive coaches (coordinator Paul Chryst became head coach at Pittsburgh)
Even the loss of Wilson should have been enough to slow the offense, and many teams aren't able to survive collective losses like that, yet a lot of us expected Wisconsin to just keep scoring points this season.
Our unrealistic expectations are a credit to one of the nation's most consistent programs over the last two decades -- built by Barry Alvarez and sustained by Bret Bielema -- that churns out big-time offensive lines and 1,000-yard rushers seemingly every year. But even the best-run programs sometimes have a season when the pieces just don't fit together. That could be the case for the Badgers in 2012.
To read more from Brad Edwards on Wisconsin's offensive issues, become an Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation