CFB's overrated, underrated teams
Florida could go unbeaten in SEC; TCU's defense will drop; more projections
This season I have been giving you my bold predictions on ESPN Insider every Thursday, but in addition to those picks this week, I wanted to provide you with my most overrated and underrated teams one quarter of the way through the season. In some cases, these teams are being overvalued or undervalued when it comes to overall ranking in the polls, and in other cases their statistical rankings on either offense or defense are being artificially inflated by misleading starts.
We'll begin with the three underrated teams, before tackling my three overrated teams.
1. Texas Longhorns (No. 12 in AP poll)Reason: The QB play is better than you think.
Coming off back-to-back disappointing seasons, the Longhorns were my No. 1 dark-horse national title contender coming into this season and so far they have lived up to that billing with an undefeated start and blowout wins against each of their first three opponents.
Coming into the season everyone knew about the talent they had on the defensive side of the ball, with stars at defensive end in Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat to go along with a secondary that I ranked as the best in the country. The question mark on the team was at quarterback.
To read more from Phil Steele on the nation's over- and underrated teams, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation