Teams with most NFL prospects
LSU leads the way, but USC, Georgia are close among 22 teams listed
With college football kicking off, it's time to look at the teams with the top NFL talent on the roster as of today. Quickly, since a lot of you don't bother to read them before commenting, some parameters up front.
• These teams are ranked based on players who would be given an NFL draft grade right now, based on my grades, and where they stand among NFL evaluators.
• This list omits freshmen except for exceptional cases. Jadeveon Clowney, for instance, might have been accounted for last year, because had he been eligible, he's one of the rare freshmen who would have been considered capable of making an NFL team.
So think of this list as a ranking of teams with the most players currently considered NFL prospects. In some cases, a final audit on the rosters in the years to come could show more players drafted, but this is where we stand now.
1. LSU Tigers
No Tyrann Mathieu, no problem at least as far as NFL scouts are concerned. Pass-rushing tandem Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery could both become top-10 picks overall. Bennie Logan should become a great one on the defensive interior. The secondary has a pair of legit prospects in cornerback Tharold Simon and safety Eric Reid. The defense is loaded, but consider the fact that even their transfer quarterback, Zach Mettenberger, is a legit prospect. Keep an eye on youngsters Odell Beckham and La'el Collins.
To read Mel's full ranking of the college teams with the most NFL prospects, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation