Teams with most NFL prospects
LSU leads the way, but USC, Georgia are close among 22 teams listed
With college football kicking off, it's time to look at the teams with the top NFL talent on the roster as of today. Quickly, since a lot of you don't bother to read them before commenting, some parameters up front.
• These teams are ranked based on players who would be given an NFL draft grade right now, based on my grades, and where they stand among NFL evaluators.
• This list omits freshmen except for exceptional cases. Jadeveon Clowney, for instance, might have been accounted for last year, because had he been eligible, he's one of the rare freshmen who would have been considered capable of making an NFL team.
So think of this list as a ranking of teams with the most players currently considered NFL prospects. In some cases, a final audit on the rosters in the years to come could show more players drafted, but this is where we stand now.
1. LSU Tigers
No Tyrann Mathieu, no problem at least as far as NFL scouts are concerned. Pass-rushing tandem Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery could both become top-10 picks overall. Bennie Logan should become a great one on the defensive interior. The secondary has a pair of legit prospects in cornerback Tharold Simon and safety Eric Reid. The defense is loaded, but consider the fact that even their transfer quarterback, Zach Mettenberger, is a legit prospect. Keep an eye on youngsters Odell Beckham and La'el Collins.
To read Mel's full ranking of the college teams with the most NFL prospects, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Irish DC Diaco to take UConn job
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Bama kicker given letter of support by Bush
- Texas Tech QB Mayfield will seek transfer