Team previews for Nos. 5-1
Impact players and win projections for the nation's top 5 teams
These top-25 team previews also appear in the college football preview issue of ESPN The Magazine. They will be released five per day this week on ESPN Insider.
Team capsules are written by Travis Haney and Mark Schlabach, kick-starter player sections by KC Joyner and Football Outsiders season win projections by Brian Fremeau.
5. Oregon DucksLast season: 12-2 (8-1 Pac-12 North)
Anyone who saw freshman RB De'Anthony Thomas unleashed in open space last season had to have one thought: That Duck can fly. Built on the foundation of speed, both in terms of personnel and number of snaps, Oregon continues to find pieces to fit its all-systems-go attack, which led the Pac-12 by gaining 522.8 ypg and scoring 46 ppg. Thomas (2,235 all-purpose yards), Kenjon Barner and two burners at QB in freshman Marcus Mariota and soph Bryan Bennett form what may be the nation's fastest backfield. The rest of the Pac-12 should also be worried about a disruptive defensive line headed by 6'7" senior DE Dion Jordan (7.5 sacks) and 6'8" true freshman DE Arik Armstead. With a few breaks at USC, Chip Kelly's team could be running for more than roses.
To read the full Mag previews for Oregon, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU and USC, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
- Nike Men's Oklahoma Sooners Crimson Football Champions Local Attribute T-shirt