Team previews for Nos. 15-11
Impact players, win projections and season previews for top-25 teams
These top-25 team previews also appear in the college football preview issue of ESPN The Magazine. They will be released five per day this week on ESPN Insider.
Team capsules are written by Travis Haney and Mark Schlabach, kick-starter player sections by KC Joyner and Football Outsiders season win projections by Brian Fremeau.
Wisconsin is becoming Quarterback-Transfer U. In 2011, NC State's Russell Wilson showed up in Madison and became the Big Ten QB of the year. In 2012, former Maryland QB Danny O'Brien, the 2010 ACC rookie of the year, will be asked to defer often to RB Montee Ball, who is coming off 1,923 yards and an NCAA-record-tying 39 scores in 2011 (Barry Sanders, 1988). What's also new in Wisconsin, however, is a run D that needs work. The Badgers gave up 152.8 ypg, the most since 2005, and coach Bret Bielema is searching for a more consistent pass rush (1.8 sacks per game). Still, with playmakers like Ball and junior WR Jared Abbrederis (933 yards, 8 TDs), O'Brien could become the second straight ACC transplant to win the Big Ten's new championship game.
To read the full Mag previews for Nos. 15-11, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- TCU's Fields surrenders to assault warrant
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines