Ranking the elite Big 12 DBs
The 2012 secondaries look loaded, with eight Thorpe Award candidates
The Jim Thorpe Award, which honors the best defensive back in college football, for a stretch seemed to be a staple honor for the Big 12 and, its predecessor, the Big 8. The conference has taken home nine of 26 Thorpe awards since its creation in 1986, and at one point claimed the winner in five out of six seasons (2001-03, 2005-06).
But since that last winner in 2006 -- Aaron Ross, Texas -- the Big 12 has not been able to lay claim to the prize.
The competition for the Thorpe Award this season again will be tough, with a slew of top-level secondary players -- USC cornerback Nickell Robey; North Carolina State cornerback David Amerson; Florida State's Xavier Rhodes; Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks; and of course LSU's Tyrann Mathieu chief among them -- but the Big 12 may have more strong Thorpe candidates than any other FBS conference.
Below is a ranking of the top eight Big 12 Thorpe Award candidates (in order of their chance to win this honor). Each player has a list of pros and cons for his candidacy, as well interception and passes defensed numbers from 2011. In addition, each candidate also has the yards per attempt (YPA) and vertical yards per attempt (VYPA) metrics from a review of a minimum of eight games versus BCS conference competition last season. (Note: All metrics include penalty plays such as pass interference, defensive holding, etc. Vertical passes are aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield).
To read the ranking of the top defensive backs in the Big 12, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Harwell, nation's No. 2 WR in '11, off to Kansas
- Oregon releases additional docs in NCAA probe
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation