Best 2012 conference title bets
Evaluating the odds for the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC and Big Ten
Handicapping conference title futures is a lot like predicting the conference races themselves, with one important difference: We're not looking for the teams most likely to win, but rather the teams more likely to win than their prices suggest.
Sure, there are still some teams in each league that have basically no chance and are therefore unappealing at any price, but the best values are often found in the middle of the pack rather than among the obvious favorites.
Let's take a look at the odds offered this offseason on the five strongest conferences (divisional odds are in parentheses):
Alabama will probably claim its 27th conference championship this year, but with a host of quality teams in the SEC, the short-priced favorites aren't that appealing. Instead of the West powerhouses, we'll look to South Carolina, as the Gamecocks are getting solid value in what amounts to a two-team East divisional race.
To read the full story about the best conference title odds, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation