Florida can compete in SEC East
Nine reasons the Gators could be much improved in 2012
The 2011 season was one of the most difficult Florida Gators campaigns in recent memory. They won only seven games under first-year head coach Will Muschamp, thus making him the first Gators coach since Charley Pell in 1979 to win fewer than eight games in his first full season as Florida head coach. Last year's squad also posted a losing record in SEC conference play, which is something that had not occurred since 1986.
Those lowlights might make it seem like the Gators are headed for a longer-term downward slide, but the reality is that this team could be primed to compete for conference supremacy as soon as this upcoming season.
There are nine reasons to think this is the case.
1. The makings of a dominant defense
The Gators' defense may not have been quite up to the class of the Alabama Crimson Tide or LSU Tigers last season, but its 4.59 yards per play allowed mark ranked eighth in the FBS according to the site cfbstats.com. That total improves if the sampling is limited to games against FBS-caliber opponents, as Florida's 4.44 mark in those games ranked sixth nationally.
To read more about why the Florida Gators will be much improved this season, sign up for Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Starting QB Golson no longer at Notre Dame
- Hurricanes TE Dye, NCAA to discuss affidavit
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation