Holes across the top-5 teams
USC, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Georgia all have weaknesses they must address
Pitchers and catchers will soon be reporting for major league baseball, but they're not the only ones looking to usher winter out the door. Sure, we're still weeks from college football spring practices getting into full swing and months from the actual college football season kickoff. Nevertheless, we still have a pretty good idea of which teams will command our attention this fall.
ESPN's Mark Schlabach published the most recent iteration of his "way-too-early" Top 25, and the ratings are populated by the usual suspects. Some of the perennially overrated teams will elicit guffaws from the skeptics, but there won't be much disagreement at the very top of the preseason polls. Schlabach's top five are the USC Trojans, Alabama Crimson Tide, LSU Tigers, Oklahoma Sooners and Georgia Bulldogs. Each has the ingredients of a potential champion: historical pedigree, roster loaded with talent and strong recent success.
Those five programs still have some question marks, certainly. It seems silly to nitpick potential flaws now for teams that won't see the field for more than six months. But, as we cruise toward spring practice, we can still highlight a few key points of emphasis to prepare for a championship run in 2012.
PFEI: No. 7
F/+ 2011: No. 11
Weighted Recruiting: No. 2
A bowl ban kept USC out of postseason play in 2011, but the Trojans still scored big in December with quarterback Matt Barkley's announcement that he'll return for his senior season. Few teams were playing with as much momentum as USC down the stretch, and a loaded roster with nine returning starters on both sides of the ball has elevated expectations for 2012 to peak levels. What's not to love?
To read more on the top-5 teams and fixes they must make, sign up for Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
- Sources: C-USA to put team in Military Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation