Five sleeper candidates for 2012
Vols, Huskies among teams whose production, win totals could jump next season
One of the recurring facets of the Bill James Baseball Abstract book series was his attempt to find leading indicators for whether a team would improve or decline in the following season.
In many cases, the best indicators occurred when a set of statistics showed that a team had a good amount of talent but still had ample room for statistical improvement.
That mindset can be useful in reviewing the college football world to see which mid-level teams -- those with five to seven wins in 2011 -- have the best chance of posting a Top 25-caliber season -- and in some cases, make a run at their conference title -- in 2012. In our analysis, five teams emerged as strong candidates.
To read KC Joyner's list of five 2012 sleeper candidates, plus get complete access to Insider's college football and recruiting content, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation