Bowl game upset picks
Virginia over Auburn? Northwestern over A&M? We pick winners for every game
Every week during the season, Will Harris conspires with the computers (using TeamRankings' game predictor) and the wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games and give his picks for who'll come out on top.
Upset Picks finished one game over .500 against the spread this season, and now we turn our attention to the bowls. We'll break down all the matchups in stages as we go through the postseason, looking for mismatches and live dogs.
Below is a breakdown for bowl games Dec. 30-31.
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl: Brigham Young Cougars vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Dec. 30
Tulsa boasts an impressive resume for an 8-4 team, with losses only to top-10 outfits Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Boise State and Houston. The development of quarterback G.J. Kinne and a veteran offensive line helped the Golden Hurricane overcome a lack of experienced skill position players. There are no impressive wins on this team's sheepskin, but most of them were blowouts and there's no shame in any of the losses.
BYU has a similar resume, with losses to the three best teams on its slate accompanying a host of lopsided victories over weak opponents. The Cougars aren't as explosive as Tulsa, but this BYU defense is easily the best the Hurricane has faced outside of its quartet of highly ranked foes. Seventh-year BYU boss Bronco Mendenhall is an accomplished bowl coach, and his edge in postseason experience over Tulsa rookie Bill Blankenship could be the decisive advantage in this evenly matched affair.
The pick: BYU 31, Tulsa 28
To see the rest of Will Harris' bowl picks, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Hurricanes TE Dye, NCAA to discuss affidavit
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation