Advanced intel for bowl season
A deep look at the numbers reveals the key matchups in several bowl games
Every bowl season, the keys to winning are matchups and motivation.
Unless you're on the practice field leading up to the game, motivation (or lack thereof) is difficult to identify. We know one or two favored teams will show up with a lack of intensity and lose to an inferior opponent. It happens every year. Trying to pinpoint those teams in advance, however, is a tricky proposition.
Statistical mismatches, such as Temple's seventh-ranked rushing offense against Wyoming's 115th-ranked rushing defense in the New Mexico Bowl, are much easier to spot. There are always a few of those, as well. But with 35 bowl games, there are also plenty of intriguing matchups.
So here are a few numbers to add to your bowl enjoyment or, in some cases, to consider before assigning your confidence points on Bowl Mania:
Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: Oregon Ducks vs. Wisconsin Badgers
When: Jan. 2, 5 p.m. ET (Watch)
The number: 76
After having no running play gain more than 13 yards in their season-opening loss to LSU, the Ducks returned to their explosive form and lead the FBS with 76 rushes of 15 yards or more, which is the most for any team in a season since ESPN's statistical archive began in 2004.
To read the full article from Brad Edwards, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation