How Georgia can beat LSU
Three defensive keys could lead the Bulldogs to an upset victory in the SEC title game
As important as those skirmishes will be, the Bulldogs will need to be just as successful on the undercard clash between their defense and the Tigers' offense to have any chance of winning this game.
At first glance, winning that matchup looks to be a very daunting task for Georgia's defenders. LSU has scored at least 35 points in all but two of its contests this season and ranks 10th in the FBS in points per game.
It isn't just the scoreboard totals that are impressive. According to cfbstats.com, the Tigers' offense ranks 18th in the FBS in rush yards per game (215.8), 14th in passer rating (155.57) and tied for first in turnovers lost (eight).
So how does a defense go about stopping a team that can run and pass with equal efficiency and doesn't turn the ball over?
There isn't an easy one-step answer, but a detailed game tape and metric review provide a three-step path that Georgia could use to stop the Tigers' offense and thus give the Bulldogs a reasonable chance at pulling off the upset.
1. Take full advantage of LSU's rushing inconsistencies
To read KC's full recipe for a Georgia upset of LSU, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
- Navy to charge football players in rape case
- Sources: Southern Miss won't renew AD's pact
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation