Buckeyes still alive in Big Ten?
Determining sleepers and projecting the conference and division races still up for grabs
It's always tempting to get ahead of ourselves when discussing BCS championship and conference races. Around the middle of the year, every what-if scenario dreamed up focuses on the possible glut of undefeated contenders at season's end. And then the inevitable upsets strike as they did the last two weekends, and we're reminded how much remains unsettled and unpredictable.
We discussed undefeated championship contenders two weeks ago and identified Wisconsin and Oklahoma as two teams at risk to stumble due to a tough remaining strength of schedule.
With a new set of drive-based FEI ratings, we can calculate the likelihood of teams winning out for the rest of the season and thus add clarity to conference races. Below are the primary conference races up for grabs. In addition to the normal contenders, there are a few dark horses in position to make a run.
Sign up for ESPN Insider and read the full article, as well as Insider's complete college football coverage.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sarkisian happy to be back 'home' with USC
- QB Mariota to bypass draft, return to Ducks
- Sources: LSU's Mettenberger has torn ACL
- UCLA, Mora reach 6-year contract extension