K-State can knock off Oklahoma
Evaluating upset odds and picking winners for the week's biggest games
Every week during the season, Will Harris will conspire with the computers (using TeamRankings' game predictor) and the wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games -- and give his picks for who'll come out on top.
Week 8 finally brought some movement near the top of the rankings, as Oklahoma and Wisconsin went down. West Virginia and Illinois were the other ranked teams to lose as favorites, while then-No. 20 Georgia Tech fell as a road underdog.
Upset Picks liked the Badgers, Jackets and a few more ill-fated outfits, going 2-6 to fall to 33-29 against the number on the year. This week we'll lean on a trio of live underdogs, and apply lessons learned in Miami and East Lansing.
Oklahoma is favored by 13.5 points
TeamRankings win odds for Kansas State: 36 percent
It's called smoke and mirrors only when it's not sustainable. Kansas State's get-outgained-but-win act is here to stay. Excellence at game-turning performance indicators like third down and red zone efficiency, turnover margin and big-play special teams are consistent hallmarks of Bill Snyder teams past, present and future.
Another constant is stellar performance as a home underdog. Two touchdowns would have been ample even before Oklahoma's season came crashing down last week. Now the visitor can scarcely call itself the favorite. The Sooners had three big questions entering a season that was supposed to produce a national title run, and all three came home to roost in last week's home loss to Texas Tech, the lowest moment of the Bob Stoops era.
Brent Venables' defense has been sliding for three years now, while Landry Jones has played well 90 percent of the time but has never quite looked like a quarterback that could make it through a season without a costly performance. And the Oklahoma special teams -- particularly the placekicking -- have long been mediocre for a top team.
To read more on Kansas State-Oklahoma and get the rest of the Week 9 picks and upset odds, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation