Badgers, Cardinal face upset bids
Identifying potential upsets and picking winners for the biggest games of Week 8
Every week during the season, Will Harris will conspire with the computers (using TeamRankings' game predictor) and the wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games -- and give his picks for who'll come out on top.
The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Illinois Fighting Illini were the only ranked teams to lose as favorites in Week 7, while the Michigan Wolverines, Baylor Bears, Texas Longhorns and Arizona State Sun Devils fell as ranked underdogs to other ranked teams.
Upset Picks forecast Sparty's beatdown of Michigan but missed on the Illini, posting a 3-5 week to move to 31-23 against the number on the year. This week we're fading the Michigan State Spartans, along with the Stanford Cardinal, USC Trojans and Miami Hurricanes.
Wisconsin is favored by 7 points
TeamRankings win odds for Michigan State: 20 percent
It's not hard to make a case for Michigan State. The Spartans rank behind only the Alabama Crimson Tide in total defense and demonstrated their physicality in a brutish beating of Michigan last week. This team has plenty of offensive weapons as well, and it appears to be peaking just in time for a visit from the Badgers. Wisconsin hasn't won in East Lansing since 2002 and is a touchdown favorite, the largest price laid to a home-standing Michigan State team in the Mark Dantonio era.
The Badgers, though, are a far different team than the one that fell in Spartan Stadium last year. This year's squad, led by Russell Wilson, is a seasoned, confident group that is more equipped to pass midseason road tests than last year's Rose Bowl outfit. Wisconsin is a true juggernaut, the first team since 1950 to win each of its first six games by at least 30 points. Wilson sports a ridiculous 209 passer rating, and while the defense isn't an elite unit, it's a solid group that has outstanding leadership in the linebacking duo of Chris Borland and Mike Taylor.
To read the rest of the Week 8 picks and upset odds, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation