Sleeper teams with BCS potential
These five programs could still make a BCS bowl despite early-season losses
The BCS standings for 2011 debut next week, and all eyes will be on the pecking order at the top. The LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide and Oklahoma Sooners will all be in position for a BCS Championship Game berth if they win out the rest of the season. Beyond those title contenders, a handful of other undefeated teams -- including the Stanford Cardinal and Wisconsin Badgers -- are hoping to be in position to move up if one of the powerhouses falter.
But there's also a handful of teams that won't be among the elite but may still be able to contend for a BCS bowl berth by season's end. One thing most of them have in common: a late-season showdown with one of the elite programs already mentioned and a chance to redeem themselves after early-season hiccups.
The following teams are all ranked among the top 20 in the current FEI ratings and have a chance to make a BCS run this season. Strength of schedule listed is based on the current FEI ratings and includes only remaining regular-season games. The likelihood of winning out the rest of the season is provided, as well.
To read more about which sleeper teams could still make a BCS run, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation