Wolverines, Aggies on upset alert
Identifying likely upsets and picking winners for Week 6's biggest games
Every week during the season, Will Harris will conspire with the computers (using TeamRankings' game predictor) and the wiseguys to evaluate the upset possibilities in college football's most compelling games -- and give his picks for who'll come out on top.
Three teams fell out of the Associated Press Top 25 rankings last week -- the South Florida Bulls, Baylor Bears and TCU Horned Frogs -- while five more lost their games but remained ranked. Upset Watch forecast Baylor's tough day in Manhattan, Kan., along with Illinois' struggles, Wisconsin's big win and the Tide's draining of The Swamp.
A 6-2 week moved us to 25-14 against the spread on the season. This week we go back to the well with a pair of purple Wildcats as we preview the week's big games.
Arkansas is favored by 10 points
TeamRankings win odds for Auburn: 36 percent
Auburn's win in Columbia, S.C., was a reminder that there's a floor on how far the Tigers can fall after losing 16 starters, including the team's showcase stars, but don't let it deceive you into thinking that this is not a rebuilding year. Gus Malzahn's effective use of his skill players will keep Auburn in some games, but the young offensive line won't hold up all season, and the defense is a liability every week. Auburn is game and will be well-prepared again this week, but this is a five-loss team.
The Razorbacks' defense has suffered some injuries and is a poor tackling unit by SEC standards, but it is improving, and the offense can more than pick up the slack in the meantime. Quarterback Tyler Wilson's play has built confidence in the whole unit, and although the Hogs are trying to find an identity in the running game, Wilson and his uber-talented receiving corps will be enough to secure wins against the defenses on the October schedule.
The pick: Arkansas 45, Auburn 28
To read the rest of the Week 6 picks and upset odds, sign up for ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lunt: Gundy lifted restrictions, but too late
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
- Navy to charge football players in rape case
- Sources: Southern Miss won't renew AD's pact
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation