FSU's D poses threat for Sooners
Jones-to-Broyles is an explosive combo, but the Noles' secondary is up to the challenge
In some ways, it's surprising that the Oklahoma Sooners come into their Saturday road test against the Florida State Seminoles as the favorite. After all, these teams are relatively equal in talent (both have top-12 recruiting classes in each of the past four years according to ESPN's recruiting rankings) and both are top-5 teams in the AP poll, but FSU has the advantage of playing at home.
A big reason why the Sooners would be favored, of course, is that they crushed the Noles last season in Norman by a score of 47-17, in a game that saw OU quarterback Landry Jones put up 380 passing yards and four touchdowns and leading Sooners receiver Ryan Broyles catch 12 passes for 124 yards and a touchdown.
But that's where things get interesting. While on paper the Sooners' passing game, particularly the Jones-Broyles connection, looks to be OU's biggest advantage heading into this year's contest, the Florida State defense actually has what it takes to shut that combo down Saturday night.
To read the full story about why FSU has an advantage against Oklahoma's passing game, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation